POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Earth science education : Re: Earth science education Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth science education
From: Stephen
Date: 24 Mar 2015 05:33:18
Message: <55112f5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/03/2015 08:19, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 23-3-2015 19:50, Stephen wrote:

>> In a way Nekar is right. We, as taxpayers, are the investors.
>> Years ago I worked in the Newspaper industry. I have a very low opinion
>> of most journalists. They will write anything to get a byline.
>>

> Hmm, yes and no. My father was a journalist, working in the foreign
> politics and arts branch. He was extremely critical about truth finding
> and so was very critical about many of his colleagues. In the course of
> the years I have met a wide lot of them and I must say that most were
> honest. However, the example by Nekar is typically one were the
> journalist did not know what he was writing about and only picked up a
> couple of catch calls he heard somewhere and wrote around it; or -
> current practice - the title did not refer to the content at all, which
> becomes obvious when you know that titles are not made by the journalist
> himself but by the layout staff.

True but we are talking about different generations.
Nowadays if you don't work in "the city" the next best thing is working
in "the media". There are so many of them that they struggle to keep to
the realms of reality in their quest to have an original slant on it.
Although I do have a sneaking desire to see a pink unicorn. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen