POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fired fox : Re: Fired fox Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fired fox
From: James Holsenback
Date: 19 Mar 2015 12:54:30
Message: <550aff46$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/19/2015 10:24 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> I'm running the latest Firefox on Windows XP, along with the Flash plug-in
> there.
>
> The sluggishness of Firefox seems to be a known problem, having to do with its
> "plug-in-container.exe" process. And without a solution, AFAIK-- except to add
> the NoScript add-on. (Haven't done that yet.)
>
> Flash + plug-in-container = big problem! Like, 100% takeover of the CPU. It
> happens on my system about 50% of the time while I'm online. My only solution at
> present is to kill the plug-in-container process in Task Manager, when things go
> screwy. (Or to keep the Flash plug-in from firing up at all, choosing "ask to
> activate" there.) I'm obviously missing a lot of Flash content on the web--but I
> don't need to see most of it anyway.

Well there ya go ... not sure if it's totally the plug-in container
processes fault /entirely/ my gut feeling says it's Flash. IHMO the most
insecure process hog on the face of the planet ... JavaScript is a close
second. On my linux system I /have/ also observed the plug-in container
process consuming a lot of cpu cycles and have gone into the process
table and killed it off when I've noticed it still running when Firefox
isn't. I've also seen it delay my system going into stand-by as well, so
/perhaps/ it's not completely blameless. Since a couple of versions ago
I've not been running Firefox with Flash plug-in and have opted for
Flash to HTML5 extension because I do frequent YouTube. If I run across
something on other sites that I just /have/ to see I fire up Chrome
because it comes bundled with the browser. In short ... I just gave up
on Flash when I noticed an end of support notice for linux platforms.