POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Clipka’s software lathe. : Re: Clipka’s software lathe. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:15:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clipka’s software lathe.
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Mar 2015 16:51:18
Message: <54f8cfd6$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2015 15:36, scott wrote:
>> Could that be the convergence setting?
>> Something I found when googling. (Corrected for proper spelling.)
>
> Yes, I probably need to spend more time and have a play about with the
> settings.

I was playing with mine today. The Nvidia card (GTX 970) has an inbuilt
3D laser sight and it seems to change its depth depending on what it is
pointed at. The further away the target is the deeper into the screen it is.

>> Compared to the cost of 3 monitors the rift is cheap

Wait a bit and you will be able to pick up a DK2 cheep.
Listings for DK1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fromfsb=0&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=oculus+rift+dk1&_sop=2

There is one on there for a tenner.

> I picked up 2 of my 3 monitors for £25 each on ebay :-) In all honesty
> it was best £50 I ever spent in terms of adding to the realism,
> immersion and spatial awareness in games.

That is a good bargain.

>> and you could
>> always sell it on, in ebay if it did not suit.
>> Question: Would the monitors need to be matched?
>
> Mine are 22" Samsungs with the same resolution, but they are all
> different models, it's just whatever came up on ebay locally at the time.

Matched for size and manufacturer. :-D

>> In the Elite forums. Most of the people who have bought the DK1/2 rave
>> about it. And say that they would not go back to using a flat screen
>> even though the resolution is noway near as good.
>
> Indeed, most in the iRacing forums rave about it too, but there are a
> not-insignificant number of people who went back to using screens. There
> are several reasons, not being able to read the on-screen text clearly
> enough (without making it take up 1/3 screen), not being able to make
> out small details in the distance as well (especially in mirrors), and
> not being able to see the real world (eg to press buttons or type).
> Personally I don't see those as much of a problem though, not if you are
> able to look over your shoulder and see your opponent alongside you :-)

I may have mentioned that a couple of years ago I did a contract at
Mercedes HPP. I never noticed a keyboard in any of the F1 cars ;-)

I've been trying to get VoiceAttack to work but M$ voice recognition is
racist and says it doesn't recognise Glaswegians. "Glass them" does not
deploy the hardpoints the way it should. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen