POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Clipka’s software lathe. : Re: Clipka’s software lathe. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clipka’s software lathe.
From: Stephen
Date: 5 Mar 2015 09:31:01
Message: <54f868a5$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/03/2015 13:00, scott wrote:
>> Thanks Scott. You prompted me to try Elite in 3D, again.
>> When I first tried it. The screen looked like one of those old arcade
>> games. 2D -> 3D with different distinct layers. It has improved so much
>> that you don't notice it is 3D. :-D
>
> I'm not sure whether it was the game (Gran Turismo) or my TV that made
> the 3D bad. My TV is a long way from my PC and both are difficult to
> move so I'm pretty limited to using my PS3 for testing out the 3D. What
> I found was there was very little 3D effect (compared to the
> glasses-free 3D on the 3DS and phones or the tinted glasses) and that
> there was a distractingly large amount of cross-talk between the left
> and right images. It was pretty horrible.

Could that be the convergence setting?
Something I found when googling. (Corrected for proper spelling.)

Its function is something all racers already use in a round about way.
Convergence changes how far ahead of your car the precise focal point is.
We are taught to focus 'down the road' when racing, this setting matches
the 3D focal point with the one you use as a driver.
Ideally everyone uses a little bit different focal point, this allows it
to be made comfortable/less eye strain.
If these settings are what is causing your doubling, here is how.
With convergence set wayyyy down field and parallax set high, the point
where the image is perfect will be stuff in the distance near centre screen.
The cost is, anything up close will be doubled to a degree, made more
noticeable in cockpit view with wheel/hands/gauges/door pillars all very
close.

In Elite the cockpit is close and it shows up in 3D very well, now. The
other objects are generally miles away so should have little
stereoscopic effect.
I've just thought of an exception that I did not check. Being in a
planets ring system. Must do that sometime soon.

>> That is not going to stop me buying an Oculus Rift when the commercial
>> version is available, though.
>
> Definitely, although for the game I am most interested in there is a
> huge debate in the forums about whether triple monitors or the rift is
> better. I would be worried I bought the rift, tried to get used to it
> and eventually discovered that trips were still better.

Compared to the cost of 3 monitors the rift is cheap and you could
always sell it on, in ebay if it did not suit.
Question: Would the monitors need to be matched?

In the Elite forums. Most of the people who have bought the DK1/2 rave
about it. And say that they would not go back to using a flat screen
even though the resolution is noway near as good.

--

Regards
     Stephen