POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Clipka’s software lathe. : Re: Clipka’s software lathe. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clipka’s software lathe.
From: scott
Date: 5 Mar 2015 08:00:48
Message: <54f85380$1@news.povray.org>
> Thanks Scott. You prompted me to try Elite in 3D, again.
> When I first tried it. The screen looked like one of those old arcade
> games. 2D -> 3D with different distinct layers. It has improved so much
> that you don't notice it is 3D. :-D

I'm not sure whether it was the game (Gran Turismo) or my TV that made
the 3D bad. My TV is a long way from my PC and both are difficult to
move so I'm pretty limited to using my PS3 for testing out the 3D. What
I found was there was very little 3D effect (compared to the
glasses-free 3D on the 3DS and phones or the tinted glasses) and that
there was a distractingly large amount of cross-talk between the left
and right images. It was pretty horrible.

> That is not going to stop me buying an Oculus Rift when the commercial
> version is available, though.

Definitely, although for the game I am most interested in there is a
huge debate in the forums about whether triple monitors or the rift is
better. I would be worried I bought the rift, tried to get used to it
and eventually discovered that trips were still better.