POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Enter the compiler : Re: Enter the compiler Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:01:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Enter the compiler
From: scott
Date: 5 Mar 2015 03:41:00
Message: <54f8169c$1@news.povray.org>
>> An interesting read, so it turns out you are actually quite good at C#
>> programming then :-)
>
> Well, yeah, I did just spend the last 2 years writing C# code every
> single day. ;-)

Maybe you mentioned it but I forgot, what language are you writing the
"compiler" in then? You can write C# code to generate, assemble and run
code dynamically can't you? I started work on a raytracer once where the
user typed in the scene as pseudo-C# code and then it compiled it an ran
it to render the scene - it wasn't a security hole, more like a security
chasm :-)

> C++, however, still scares me a little bit. For example, consider the
> following:
>
>    std::stringstream buf(user_data);
>    buf >> file_offset;
>
> ...yeah, it turns out file_offset was declared as a 32-bit integer
> rather than a 64-bit integer. (Because C doesn't define the size of
> things, it's just left as implementation-dependent. Yay!)

Yes, at least in C# you have Int32 Int64, and the MS IDE would probably
give you a red squiggly line under something like that if you got it wrong.

I stopped using C++ a long time ago precisely for these sort of things
that you miss and it screws everything up. Also I got so used to the
autocomplete and help for C# in the MS IDE that the C++ one is painful
to use now.