POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Clipka’s software lathe. : Re: Clipka’s software lathe. Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:26:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clipka’s software lathe.
From: clipka
Date: 4 Mar 2015 18:09:09
Message: <54f79095$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.03.2015 um 22:11 schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 03/03/2015 12:59 AM, clipka wrote:
>> It's pretty clear by now that VR isn't just a hype this time, but
>> actually going to take off and fly.
>
> Didn't they say that about 3D TV about five years ago?

Not exactly. They didn't say anything about "this time", because it's
the first time 3D TV is around in the first place (aside from a few
individual one-time experiments with cardboard glasses solutions).

> When was the last time you saw a 3D TV that wasn't in a shop window?
>
> Exactly.

Ask Stephen. Not that I've actually seen it, but anyway.

But that a prophecy has been repeated over and over again and proven
wrong each time doesn't mean it will be wrong forever. We've had several
waves of 3D cinema hypes every few decades, but AFAIK this time it's the
first time we've been getting blockbusters in 3D on a steady basis for
half a decade and without an end in sight.

And yes, we've already had a VR hype some two and a half decades ago or
so, but back then you could only get your hands on them at arcades
because they were too expensive, and besides no consumer game would have
supported them anyway. Now everybody and their uncle is gearing up to
sell VR goggles for the masses, and VR support is already an established
standard for some game types (most notably flight sims).