POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Zwischendinge?? : Zwischendinge?? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:34:12 EDT (-0400)
  Zwischendinge??
From: Doctor John
Date: 2 Mar 2015 02:20:44
Message: <54f40f4c$1@news.povray.org>
I am used to seeing, and have internalised the meanings of, words such
as Schadenfreude, Merkwelt, Zeitgeist and Realpolitik. However, I have
just come across a new (to me) addition to the list of German
borrow-words used in English: Zwischendinge. What, exactly, does it mean?

I learnt to speak German in school, so I understand that the word's
literal translation is 'between things' but that does not help with the
concept that it is meant to convey. In the context of the report in
which I read it, there seems to be some ambiguity: it may refer to
either the world-shaping events that dramatically alter our view of the
world (Merkwelt, see above) or the period between these world-shaping
events. Which is it?

John
--
Protect the Earth