POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I wonder who I'm talking about ... : Re: I wonder who I'm talking about ... Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:43:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I wonder who I'm talking about ...
From: scott
Date: 17 Feb 2015 05:47:11
Message: <54e31c2f$1@news.povray.org>
> The main reason why S*******s has run persistent losses is not due to a
> lack of interest in its coffee, but to minimise its tax bill. In fact,
> S*******s’ operating profits are only slightly less in Britain than
> America. In 2012, it made £70m on £414m of sales of frappuccinos,
> espresso coffees and the like. However, it also made administrative
> losses and royalty payments totalling £98m, enabling the division to
> declare a £30m loss. It is via these payments that the firm has been
> able to transfer its British profits to its Dutch subsidiary, which is
> charged lower rates of tax."
>
> No comment

The companies are just doing whatever they can to make money (which is
what the shareholders want them to do), don't blame them. If you want to
blame someone blame the goverment for not introducing new laws to
prevent this type of thing.

It's also unfair of the media to pick out well-known brands that people
know, what about all the other multi-national companies that you haven't
heard of?

And don't forget in your example above the UK government will get far
more in VAT than the Dutch government will get in tax, so far from all
is not lost.