POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: scott
Date: 17 Feb 2015 04:00:02
Message: <54e30312$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Because where I work, we LITERALLY CANNOT HIRE ANYBODY because we just
>>> cannot find anybody who knows what source code is...
>>
>> That makes me think that your company's pay scales are too low.
>
> I don't know about that. I don't think our adverts actually state what
> we might be willing to pay. It's possible that we're not paying *the
> recruiters* enough money, of course... They all seem pretty disappointed
> that we will only pay them a 6% cut (they seem to be looking for nearer
> 40%).

I think it's a plus to put your pay range in the advert. If I see an
advert that doesn't mention salary or says something wooly like
£excellent then I'll generally ignore it. If I saw something that looked
interesting that I cold do and it said £<my_current_salary+X> then I
might get in contact.

> It does make me wonder though - if it's THIS HARD to find anybody
> capable of even the most basic programming tasks, maybe I should find
> another employer and start charging a hell of a lot more money...

FWIW (if the pay scales here for software are the same as hardware) then
graduates/no experience people would be earning £25-30k, senior
engineers (perhaps ones with 10 years experience) would be on around
£45-£55k and the principal/lead people wouldn't probably be on nearer
£65-£70k (that's more a guess). I think those are about the going rates
for mechanical/electronic engineers at least, I can't imagine we pay
software engineers much different.