POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 17:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 16 Feb 2015 13:06:10
Message: <54e23192$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/02/2015 08:23 AM, scott wrote:
>> According to the Academia Stack Exchange portal, it seems if you have a
>> PhD, everybody immediately assumes you're going to be hellishly
>> expensive to hire and summarily drops you from consideration.
>>
>> Unless you want to work in the finance industry, which only exists in
>> London.
>
> I work for a manufacturing company about 50 miles away from London,

Wait, I thought you were in Germany?

> and
> we have quite a few PhDs working in our R&D team (physics and chemistry)
> and in more senior positions elesewhere in the company. We certainly
> wouldn't reject your application just for having a PhD.

Mmm, interesting.

> My previous employer was much more R&D oriented and at least 50% of the
> staff had PhDs. Didn't you have some at your previous job too?

I don't call anybody having a PhD.

> Maybe the
> problem you highlight is unique to people with computer science PhDs?

I guess the other problem, of course, is that if you're a salesman or an
accountant or a purchasing clerk... *every* business needs those people.
If you program computers... well, not that many people actually need
such a person. (But then, the same goes for CNC operators, presumably.)

But yeah, the general impression I got from Stack Exchange was that
unless you intend to spend the rest of your life working for a top-tier
university publishing academic papers, there is basically *no point* in
possessing a PhD. You might as well go way 4 years' commercial
experience instead.