POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 19:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Feb 2015 07:06:43
Message: <54e1dd53$1@news.povray.org>
On 16-2-2015 9:40, scott wrote:
>>> In short, I haven't come across a lesson where people are there because
>>> they actually *want* to learn something. Most of them are just seem to
>>> want the bit of paper that makes employers think they're awesome.
>>>

>> You are too pessimistic I believe (or the world has changed too much).
>> Except for the last point (the Microsoft course) with which I agree, at
>> all other levels I have been with people who genuinely wanted to /know/
>> and to /learn/. Not all of them of course but a substantial part, yes.
>
> I have to agree with Andy here, my experience of school (compulsory up
> to age 16) and sixth form college (optional up to age 18) is that most
> people didn't want to learn. Obviously there were some who did, but the
> majority you felt were there because someone else had told them to be
> there but they didn't want to be. It was a place to meet people and hang
> out, having to go to lessons and do homework was an inconvenience.
>
> It was only when I got to University that it was suddenly full of people
> who actually wanted to be there and wanted to learn. But I think there
> are likely only a few Universities like that with that atmosphere,
> speaking to friends elsewhere it sounded like other Universities were
> just like school and college where people would spend more effort trying
> to avoid doing any work that actually learning anything.

My school experience was quite the opposite; there was even a fair
competition between pupils to get the highest scores. Good teachers were
venerated; the bad treated with contempt. It was hard work too, from
8:00 till 18:00 on average, six days a week, with only the thursday
afternoon free. I don't know. Time (50s and 60s) and place (Paris) may
play a role here...

--
Thomas