POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 19:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Feb 2015 04:26:37
Message: <54e1b7cd@news.povray.org>
On 16-2-2015 9:52, Stephen wrote:
> On 16/02/2015 08:09, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>>>>

>>> You are giving your age away, now. ;-)
>>> Those sheets seemed to have no friction between them at all.
>>> Or so someone told me. :-)
>>>

>> I know. Overhead sheets are only found in museums nowadays.
>>
>> No friction? well yes but often to the contrary. The damn things often
>> stuck together like hell with static electricity! But as you could put
>> them in individual holders they became a manageable pile.
>>

> Now we are getting back to the binary nature of life and Sods Law.

Beware of the /binary/ nature though. I must have told this story many
times, maybe even here...

Settings: Split, in then still existing Yugoslavia; a lecture hall
during a conference with a huge stage in front of the audience.

Characters: (1) Somebody high up in party hierarchy going to give a
presentation on mineral resources; (2) his secretary.

Scene 1: The session's president introduces the next presentation
(applause); the presenter comes up on stage with his secretary;
presenter takes place behind the lectern; the secretary sits down
besides the overhead projector, facing us, a little nervously, the
audience; a few murmurs in the audience.

Scene 2: Presentation begins; English a bit difficult to follow;
presenter signals to secretary to put up the first overhead, which she
does; for about a couple of minutes all goes well.

Scene 3: Presenter asks for next overhead; image comes on screen;
/wrong/ overhead; presenter starts to become irritated; secretary starts
to become (more) nervous; overheads are successively put up and put down
again without success; nervousness increases; presenter tries to go on
from overhead then visible; secretary start to put up another overhead
before being told to do so; presenter turns red; secretary panics and
drops all the sheets on the stage;

Meanwhile, the audience: slow grins appearing on faces; bodies settling
down more comfortably in chairs; hands fold on bellies.

Scene 4: panic extending on stage; presenter, secretary, and session
president reassemble the sheets but no logical order can be found any
more; presentation ends in chaos. (applause)

--
Thomas