POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 17:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: scott
Date: 16 Feb 2015 03:23:52
Message: <54e1a918$1@news.povray.org>
> According to the Academia Stack Exchange portal, it seems if you have a
> PhD, everybody immediately assumes you're going to be hellishly
> expensive to hire and summarily drops you from consideration.
>
> Unless you want to work in the finance industry, which only exists in
> London.

I work for a manufacturing company about 50 miles away from London, and
we have quite a few PhDs working in our R&D team (physics and chemistry)
and in more senior positions elesewhere in the company. We certainly
wouldn't reject your application just for having a PhD.

My previous employer was much more R&D oriented and at least 50% of the
staff had PhDs. Didn't you have some at your previous job too? Maybe the
problem you highlight is unique to people with computer science PhDs?