POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 15 Feb 2015 05:44:16
Message: <54e07880@news.povray.org>
On 15/02/2015 08:34 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> You are too pessimistic I believe (or the world has changed too much).
> Except for the last point (the Microsoft course) with which I agree, at
> all other levels I have been with people who genuinely wanted to /know/
> and to /learn/. Not all of them of course but a substantial part, yes.

I haven't met them. Everybody I've met regards having technical
knowledge as only something "nerds" and "losers" have - including the
people I work with, who are all professional computer programmers. They
all know how to write C#, yet they seem to think that understanding
relational algebra or knowing how floating-point arithmetic works is
only for lamers.

> And I agree with John: you would be an excellent teacher.

Again, I don't know. I'm good at writing long monologues that nobody
will ever read; interacting with a room full of live humans is quite
different. It requires a different skill set.

My Dad tells me [so I don't know how true this is] that Bach was a
virtuoso organ player, but a HORRIBLE teacher. He just couldn't
understand why nobody else could play like him...