POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Memory-mapped I/O : Re: Memory-mapped I/O Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory-mapped I/O
From: scott
Date: 3 Feb 2015 03:30:39
Message: <54d0872f$1@news.povray.org>
> As I sit here with my very expensive "IBM PC-compatible", I'm
> wondering... Is it even still *possible* to map the graphics card's
> framebuffer into the CPU's address space? Or do you have to do something
> more elaborate? Do you "talk to" the graphics card directly, or you to
> talk to the PCI-Express chipset and explicitly ask it to deliver your
> message packets? Clearly the data all passes through the PCIe chipset;
> what I'm asking is whether that's transparent to the CPU or not.

You can see the address ranges if you go to the properties of your
graphics card in device manager (under the "Resources" tab). I suspect
the small IO address ranges are for sending commands to the GPU (which
you can just use CPU store instructions to access), and the larger ones
are a map of the RAM on the card (which you use DMA for).

Typically though I don't think you will find much documentation on *how*
to communicate with a modern desktop GPU. You might find this
interesting though, whilst not the same architecture as a PC it does
give a bit of an insight on a modern GPU architecture (it's the one on
the raspberry PI):

http://www.broadcom.com/docs/support/videocore/VideoCoreIV-AG100-R.pdf