POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Zombie Apocalypse : Re: Zombie Apocalypse Server Time
19 Jul 2024 13:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Zombie Apocalypse
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Feb 2015 15:03:47
Message: <54cfd823$1@news.povray.org>
> I can't help but being impressed by someone who gets paid for what their
> not qualified to do.

*they're

To be fair, *nobody* in the room really knows C++ properly. I like to
think I probably understand it better than my colleagues, if only
because I've *tried* to understand, rather than just hitting it until
the compiler errors go away...

[If Warp is reading this, he's probably either completely outraged or
highly amused, I'm not sure which.]

>> You don't understand *any* programming language, or just Haskell?
>
> I can read and mostly understand Basic and ABAP but not write programs.
> I can write programs in PLC languages and do simple coding in machine
> code. I've never got my head around the the higher languages like C and
> its variants.

I had to look up ABAP. It scared me a little bit.

But that's nothing. Today I saw a code review on Stack Overflow. Nothing
unusual there. Oh, except the language? LOLCODE.

Yes, there's an actual programming language called LOLCODE. Why does
this exist?

In reference to Haskell... I think part of the problem is that a typical
example program in Haskell is usually an implementation of a binary
search tree, or a Huffman compression algorithm, or the
Knuth-Morris-Pratt algorithm, or k-means clustering, or, you know, stuff
the typical IT button pusher would understand.

Seriously, implementing those in *any* language is going to look kinda
complicated. Haskell allows you to do it with way less verbosity. But if
you have NO FREAKING IDEA what the program is trying to do, the lack of
verbosity just makes it all the more baffling what's happening. If you
wrote the same thing in Java, most people would still be baffled.

This is based on my observation that most "programmers" know bugger all
about computing algorithms. Most of them don't seem to know what a
binary tree is. Some of them don't even know what binary is! "Web
developers" seem to be particularly useless; apparently "web developer"
means "I know how to click on buttons in a content management system".

FizzBuzz, anyone?

>>> Toss her aside and get a young one. ;-)
>>
>> But... she's 5 years younger them me! o_O
>
> Okay get an older one. Be a toy boy. ;-)

My previous dance partner is a year older than my mum. Does that count?