POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : if version patch present condition : Re: if version patch present condition Server Time
2 May 2024 20:32:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: if version patch present condition
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2015 21:15:22
Message: <54ceddba$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.02.2015 um 22:55 schrieb Mr:
> However, what I have so far in the exporter is that it tests for the string
> "uber" in the name of the engine found and if so, activates the plain writing of
> the feature and this keeps a cleaner readable pov scene file with less
> conditions. at the price of some more complex Python, so now I'm hesitating to
> implement this procedure instead, what do you think? probably this is more
> reliable and futureproof?

Why not add an option to the exporter, to let the user decide whether
they want...

(a) plain POV-Ray code,

(b) plain UberPOV code that uses the "#version" and "#patch" directives
to make sure the expected features are supported,

(c) hybrid code that will make use of UberPOV features if present but
will still render on official POV-Ray.

The upside of (c) is that UberPOV users can share their exported scenes
with people who use official POV-Ray, and sometimes people may want
that. The downside is that it will be slower to parse and more difficult
to read, and sometimes people may /not/ want that.