POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Charlie Hebdo : Re: Charlie Hebdo Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:24:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Charlie Hebdo
From: clipka
Date: 10 Jan 2015 18:07:22
Message: <54b1b0aa$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.01.2015 um 13:03 schrieb Stephen:
> On 10/01/2015 10:21, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> How exactly Islam came to be the bad guy... That I don't have the
>> historical perspective to answer.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors#Moors_of_Iberia
>
> and
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades
>
> For starters

I think that old bloodshed bullshit had been mostly lost in the dust of
time already. Around 1900, I don't think anyone saw Islam as a serious
threat; the role of bogeyman had already become occupied by Judaism by
then, not only in Germany but throughout the Western world.

But during and after WW1, Allied politics messed up the Middle East
pretty badly, first by luring the Arabs into fighting the Ottoman Empire
on promises apparently never intended to be fulfilled, and later by
driving wedges between the various religious groups there; the region
hasn't recovered ever since, and the situation has by now exploded into
the face of the West.