POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do Europeans and others think of the USA : Re: What do Europeans and others think of the USA Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:45:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do Europeans and others think of the USA
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Dec 2014 21:00:56
Message: <549a1e58$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:10:26 -0500, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> What do you all think?

I think there are times when I'm embarrassed by either our government or
by Americans.

It's stupid to say we're "the greatest nation on Earth" when as a nation
we suck at math and have such a high rate of people believing stupid shit
and engaging in a denial of science.  This stupid trend of "all theories
are equal" when some are such clear bullshit has to stop.

I don't believe we can believe our way to the top.  I think being the
best means (a) having the moral high ground (we don't), (b) actually
being good at the stuff we think we're good at, and (c) taking care of
our citizens and making sure (for example) our kids get a good education
instead of indoctrination into thinking that we're #1 only because we say
it's true.

I get tired of arguing with obliviots (term borrowed from Randy Cassingham
at thisistrue.com) about things like health care reform, education, and
the importances of vaccinations when I see (for example) common core
being ridiculed because "I don't get it", but when I call people out and
explain, I get told that *I*'m "rude and ignorant" (true story:  This
happened on Facebook, and it was a member of my own family who said that)
when I say something like "well, what is pictured there is a number line;
I learned about those in elementary school in the 70's."

But somehow *I*'m the ignorant one, even though *I* know what a fucking
number line is, and the idiot who's making fun of a "new way of teaching
math" (which actually makes sense and builds thinking skills that apply
to higher forms of math) is *not* the ignorant one?  Puh-leeze.

BTW, same family member:  Works in the health care profession, but
doesn't believe herd immunity is a thing.  They get vaccinated because
they work in health care, but it's apparently unnecessary to get everyone
vaccinated because not everyone works around people who are
'immunocompromised'.  Because I guess we all know everyone around us at
all times and whether or not they can handle getting the flu or
something. *sigh*

And *this* is what we call "American Exceptionalism"?  Or that we have a
museum devoted to *Creationism*?  Or that we have a bunch of people who
deny climate change because, well, God will take care of it for us?  Or
that Jesus was a great guy, and taught us to love our neighbour and all
that stuff, but we have to be ARMED TO THE FUCKING TEETH because ....

Sorry, I can feel my blood pressure rising. That's bad, so I'm going to
top ranting there.

Anyways, the list goes on and on.  And it's arrogance like this combined
with ignorance like this that makes the country I live in a very
dangerous country on the global stage.

Sorry, that turned into more of a rant than I expected. :)

Jim