POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do Europeans and others think of the USA : Re: What do Europeans and others think of the USA Server Time
6 Oct 2024 05:58:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do Europeans and others think of the USA
From: Stephen
Date: 23 Dec 2014 16:02:53
Message: <5499d87d$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/12/2014 20:09, Stephen wrote:
> On 23/12/2014 18:48, Cousin Ricky wrote:
>>>
>>> You are sticking your head above the parapet. With this, Cuz. ;-)
>>
>> That bad, eh?
>>

> Give me a while to make it as polite as I can. :-)
>
> But as a taster, I'm glad we Brits have been superseded youse

First we have to differentiate between Americans and America. Then
remember that this is my personal opinion and I come from only one part
of Europe.
Most Americans that I have met and worked with, I have liked. They are
personally polite and helpful. But they have an attitude and arrogance
that bellies belief. The phrase “the power of the dollar” is upper most
in their mind. Not unlike the attitude of the British Empire of not so
long ago. The woman whose blog you posted is a prime example. Her gold
standard is typical. “I and we are the only opinions that count.” A lot
of what she says is true but the way she says is downright rude to my
ears. I have heard newly arrived, in Britain, Americans criticise our
way of life out loud in public. We are told that we are uptight when I
would say that we know the meaning of restraint in public. (We could go
into the differences of our nations but I think that most people take
London as the norm and it is not and I won’t.) But on the whole
Americans who have a passport and realise that they are not in their own
country are well liked. Well by me. I was very touched when I was
working in Oz that an American gave me an American dictionary as a joke.
When it comes to the way you your government acts. We are horrified.
(BTW I was horrified by the way our government toadied to yours over the
last couple of Middle East wars and think that the members of our
cabinet should be tried as war criminals.) Your politicians think that
they can do no wrong and if they have done. The means justified the
ends. As an internal instance I give you the several instances recently
of police brutality against black and Hispanics. (OMG Am I allowed to
say that? I mentioned someone’s skin colour.) And you cannot spell ;-)
Before I finish, I liked the man’s video. It did not seem that he was
taking it personally.
So IMO, Americans +1 America -1 (for large values of -1) And God wills
it so, as it says in the Old Testament. (I’ll finish now before that
sets me off on a rant) :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen