POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial question : Re: Trivial question Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:41:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial question
From: Doctor John
Date: 15 Dec 2014 10:48:48
Message: <548f02e0$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/12/14 13:12, scott wrote:
>> The minimum number of moves is trivial to calculate - it's 60;
>
> Aren't there a few different rules on how to play Klondike? How do you
> get the 60 number, I haven't played it for ages (not since Win95).

Assuming you're using the 'draw three' rules:
1. Moving the cards from the playing piles to the foundation: 28 moves
2. Since there are 24 cards in the talon, to expose them all: 8 moves
3. Move these cards from the waste pile to the foundation: 24 moves

28+8+24=60 Simples!

Note: if you're using 'draw one' rules, you need a total of 76 moves

28+24+24

> According to wikipedia there are 7000 trillion possible start
> configurations, and about 80% of them are theoretically winnable (if you
> don't make any wrong moves). I suspect it would be quite complex (or
> perhaps impossible without brute force) to find the maximum of the
> minimum numbers of moves needed to win from each start configuration.
> Just a guess, but that 7000 trillion number is going to rule out any
> brute force algorithms.

I suspected as much, but I live in hope of finding an elegant way of
calculating the answer - otherwise, I'll have wait for an affordable
quantum computer :-)

BTW Your prediction about The Saints performance seems to be coming
true. How about predicting that they'll return to form for the Everton game.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents