POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Out of memory : Re: Out of memory Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:45:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Out of memory
From: Alain
Date: 1 Dec 2014 17:00:16
Message: <547ce4f0$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi!
>
> I could appreciate some help, because im stuck.
>
> I want to render about 2 million spheres and about 10 million cone-s which
> connecting them on a scene, but the parser fills all of my memory (16gb). I have
> every sphere individually in the pov file, because their coordinate and color
> are different. It doesnt matter which quality im using because i cant even pass
> the parsing.
> Is there any good method to reduce memory usage, or the only option is more
> memory?
>
> Thanks.

All spheres and cones individualy seems to tell us that the POV file
defines all of those one by one, and individualy apply a texture to each
one. That makes your POV file uselessly huge.
Then, you need the space for the deffined objects including the texture
block attached to each one of them. Even if tou don't have any explicite
finish applyed, you still have space to contain a copy of the default finish

It would be beter to use a while or for loop to place them.
For the colours, do you realy need each object to have different
pigments? With some 12 millions objects, you probably have many that
share the same tint. How about putting them all in a single union and
use some pattern as a pigment?
That way, you only have a single texture block instead of 12 millions of
them. This can save you a few Gb.

If using a single pattern is not an option, you can still save a lot or
memory using unions. One union use a pattern, and a second union use
another pattern. Textures for 10 to 50 unions will use the same space as
if they where applyed to 10 to 50 individual objects, whitch is a *LOT*
less that what you have now.

Alain