POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jargon files: family edition : Re: Jargon files: family edition Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jargon files: family edition
From: Doctor John
Date: 30 Nov 2014 05:45:47
Message: <547af55b$1@news.povray.org>
On 30/11/14 10:13, andrel wrote:

> Are you telling me that you are the original source of the 'knights who
> say "Ni!"'?

No, but interesting anecdote follows:
Michael Palin and I went to the same school (not contemporaneously, I
hasten to add). One of our teachers was the Reverend R H J Brooke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Brooke_%28cricketer%29
Whenever he wished to convey an answer that was neither 'yes' nor 'no'
he would say 'Ni!'. I suspect that that was where the Pythons got the
expression from.

My family usage comes from a six-month stay in China.

John (Gung chow)
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents