POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jargon files: family edition : Re: Jargon files: family edition Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:27:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jargon files: family edition
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 29 Nov 2014 17:02:07
Message: <547a425f@news.povray.org>
On 28/11/2014 08:48 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> For no apparent reason I started to think about words that families use
> amongst themselves that completely confuse everyone else.

Pah. I went to boarding school. The ONLY thing we had to amuse ourselves
with was inventing new words (or looking up obscure ones in the
dictionary). Hell, you could tell who was tight with who from the subset
of words they use. (Yes, we were EXTREMELY board. You'd have to be this
board to obsess over something as trivial as which word to use.)

I can still remember conversations such as

"Hey Mike, luzz that over here."
"Oi! You can't say that! That's MY word!!"
"It's just a word. Anybody can say it."
"But I invented it! It's mine! Only I can use it!"
"What? No you didn't! Pete was saying that before you even joined the
school!"
"No! He copied it off me!"
"No he didnt, you big liar! You're just jealous because you can't come
up with anything cool!"
...etc...

You wouldn't believe that somebody could get beaten up over a word -
until you've seen human beings exposed to such epic levels of boredom as
this...