POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question for big brains. : Re: A question for big brains. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:31:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question for big brains.
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Nov 2014 11:42:39
Message: <5468d3ff$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/11/2014 15:48, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 16-11-2014 15:13, Stephen wrote:
>> The heat is taken from the air and the hand that is holding it. You can
>> feel the lighter getting cold and you can hear the butane rushing into
>> the lighter. The sound will stop when the pressure has equalised and the
>> lighter will continue to fill up.
>>

> Such a long time since I stopped smoking that I only dimly remember
> these things. The cold comes from the gas expanding, right? Same way as
> a fridge.

Correct.

> Your last sentence seems contradictory to me. With equal
> pressure no further fill up, or am I wrong (probability: 98%)?

And the argument is: If it is not a difference in pressure then it must
be gravity that is making the liquid flow.
And because you do not have the opportunity to do the experiment
yourself. If when you are filling a lighter and you turn the system
upside down so that the lighter is above the gas cylinder. A lot of the
liquid drains into the gas cylinder. Gravity?
Some cigarette lighters have the chamber split into two by a dividing
weir. If you keep the liquid in the chamber underneath the valve. The
liquid will rise to the top of the weir and stop rising. No more gas
will go in. Then if you tip the lighter so that the liquid spills into
other chamber. The empty part (under the valve) can then be filled.

I first had this discussion 25 years ago and would quite like to know
the answer.

--

Regards
     Stephen