POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question for big brains. : Re: A question for big brains. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question for big brains.
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Nov 2014 09:13:32
Message: <5468b10c$1@news.povray.org>
On 16/11/2014 12:56, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> On 16/11/2014 13:48, Stephen wrote:
>
>> You are both saying pressure and yes I am talking about butane lighters.
>> Consider this, the pressure differential between the gas cylinder and
>> the lighter is equalised within a fraction of a second.
>
> How ? the lighter has a depleted pressure chamber, and only liquid is
> flowing from the refiller.

But it is only liquid because it is under pressure. As soon as some
liquid is in the lighter it vaporises to fill the chamber and if the
resultant pressure is less than the pressure in the gas cylinder more
liquid will go into the lighter until the system will reach stability.

> Yes, adding liquid to the lighter gives back a bit of pressure for the
> lighter's side, but not enough. The fresh liquid could vaporize to
> provide more gas but that transformation requires a lot of heat which is
> not available at the refill time.

The heat is taken from the air and the hand that is holding it. You can
feel the lighter getting cold and you can hear the butane rushing into
the lighter. The sound will stop when the pressure has equalised and the
lighter will continue to fill up.

--

Regards
     Stephen