POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Accuracy with parametric: An infinite car garage : Re: Accuracy with parametric: An infinite car garage Server Time
27 Apr 2024 03:50:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Accuracy with parametric: An infinite car garage
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 23 Oct 2014 17:36:20
Message: <544974d4@news.povray.org>
On 10/23/2014 10:30 AM, fuglede wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Makes sense. For the pigment ones, I need to apply different ones to the ramps
> and the disks; if I put the "filter" from the disks on the ramps, they turn
> grainy -- is there a way to fix that?

Perhaps we should back up and be sure it is understood what you are
doing in using infinitely thin surfaces in intersections and differences
to define the whole of your object is pushing past what POV-Ray - let us
say - robustly supports. It used to be scenes like yours would generate
warnings along the lines that CSG operations with surface or 2D objects
was not supported.

That said, doing what you are doing often works out OK. If the rays
bouncing around cross the surface in a mathematically favorable way,
things can work fine.

What I suspect in allowing some light to filter through the surface is
we are further exposing ourselves to mathematical noise - there are now
more rays bouncing around adding those passing through surfaces. The
determination of inside vs outside becomes important and that is iffy /
undefined for surfaces hanging in space.

If when you turn on the filtering of light for the ramps, are parts of
the ramp with direct lines to the camera and light source clean, without
graininess? I suspect yes. I doubt there is any easy fix for the
filtering and graininess. Another test would be to set the filtering to
50% say - the graininess would get worse if coming from noise of rays
through the surfaces.

That said. There is too a max_gradient option for parametric surfaces. I
 >think< the default is 1.0. Your accuracy is already set really high,
but you can crank up the max_gradient to 5.0 say and see what happens.
Calculation of the surface should be more accurate. Unfortunately, the
render will get much slower.

Hope something said a help.

Bill P.