POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Longhair poll! : Re: Longhair poll! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Longhair poll!
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Oct 2014 12:37:00
Message: <543ea2ac$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/10/2014 23:49, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> POVers (POVghans?) obviously are mostly beardos... and it seems to me,
>> that among male POVers (ever noticed the almost complete absence of
>> female POVers? I hardly can remember any other "raytraceress" than Gail
>> Shaw...),...
>
> I've noticed that, too.  I wonder why that is.

Thinking out loud:
A lot of the posters here are, shall we say, not as young as they used
to be. ;-)

I think women find that they have better things to do with their free
time, when they have it.
As for younger people, it is history.

>> longhairs are also strikingly over-represented!
>>
>> So I start a poll: Who of you has hair at least touching the shoulders?
>
> I wish.
>
> When I was a kid, everyone wanted voluminous Afros like the Jackson 5.

I remember I guy I knew in the early 70s (at Bognor Regis) who had a
permed Afro about 4 feet across. A "chick" magnet it was, straight out
of Hair.

  (And my
> spell checker is balking at "afro," so I look it up at Merriam-Webster, and
> learn for the first time in 51 years that the word is supposed to be
> capitalized!)  But my hair just got too unmanageable if it got too long.
> Decades later, I learned that it takes either a looser hair texture than mine or
> a vatful of chemicals.

My mother had a natural Afro and her hair was very loose, compared to
people in Jamaica. One day I'll tell you the story about me have my
bumps read by all the women in the office.

> I have an aunt and cousins who actually did have such Afros, naturally.
> Nowadays, they both wear their hair short.  Ironically, the son of one of them
> is playing Michael Jackson in a national tour.  I'm sure he could grow an MJ
> Afro if he wanted to, but he doesn't, and wears a wig on stage.

Actors want to get out of character at the end of the play. I've noticed
that a lot of stage actors keep their hair short. Especially if they are
in rep.

> The alternatives for me were braids and dreadlocks.  Either would have caused my
> manly man male dad to flip out.  Violently.  Besides, the only westerners who
> wore dreadlocks in those days were Rastafarians, and their coifs were just plain
> unkempt.  It was not a look that I wanted.

You wouldn't want to be mistaken for a Rasta Man. What colour of Tammie
(the real Scottish spelling) would you wear?

> After I moved out on my own, braids became an option, but the damn tape recorder
> kept playing in my head that only the social "others" would wear their hair like
> girls or rebels.  Along with that was the fact that braids are high-maintenance,
> so it's not like I could passive-aggressive myself into non-conformity.  Whoopie
> Goldberg showed me that dreadlocks don't have to look like rats' nests, but
> again, keeping them neat requires maintenance.

I could not be bothered with all that. I get mine cut short and leave it
until it starts to curl or my wife tells me not to come back until it
has been cut. :-)

> Now, the question is almost moot, as my hair will no longer grow down to my
> shoulders (although it is still much longer than most men wear theirs).  The
> intelligent design proponents in my country need to explain this one to me,
> although I have a sinking feeling they would just throw 1 Corinthians 11:14 back
> at me.  That verse would not explain Yadgar, though.  Or Jesus.  They say that
> youth is wasted on the young.  I sure wasted mine keeping my hair the way other
> people told me it should be.
>
> Every time I see a little boy (or girl) with long hair, I turn green.

I don't know. I had an endless amount of trouble when I had it long.
 From my father being ashamed of being seen with me to snide comments at
work, confrontations, even being attacked in public.

But I must say. That I played judo then and no one ever pulled my hair.

--

Regards
     Stephen