POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I may be wrong about p2p security but ... : Re: I may be wrong about p2p security but ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I may be wrong about p2p security but ...
From: andrel
Date: 6 Oct 2014 06:28:29
Message: <54326EC0.8040308@gmail.com>
On 5-10-2014 15:32, Doctor John wrote:
> On 05/10/14 10:46, andrel wrote:
>> What kind of newspaper is the standard?
>> Do they publish 'news-articles' that are paid for by a company?
>> This piece hardly sounds like journalism to me.
>>

> The 'Stanny' is a freesheet

So it is quite likely the company paid for this 'news-article'.

> owned by Russian exile Evgeny Lebedev; you
> are right to be wary of its reporting.
> It likes to portray itself as a campaigning journal (eg cycle safety,
> education of the 'under classes' etc etc) but it also seems to have an
> ulterior motive. That is why I flagged this article,

When I read something like "Scentrics is attracting enormous interest
from giant tech companies in the US and Japan." then I ask myself
- what is enormous and what giant tech companies are they?
- was this copy/pasted from a press release by the company?
- why is this 'journalist' trying to increase the value of this company?
- is this company attracting new funding ATM?
- and now also, has the owner of the newspaper financial interests in
this company? (although it should have been my first question, I am
still not paranoid enough)

or "It’s a British success story, even if it’s destined to head
overseas. Oh, to be one of those who put their money in, or who worked
on it." Journalist much?
Where the irony is that there are indeed security issues on the
internet, and that they have to be solved by European companies. But, as
Andy also pointed out, the fact that they are working together with
American companies proves that this is not a correct solution. (Because
under US law secure internet is illegal.)

There are two simple rules for an application that allows secure storage
and transmission of data
1) no US company is involved
2) you can not make money with it (because as a company you don't have
access to the data and because you lost the US market)

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.