POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup : Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
From: Warp
Date: 28 Sep 2014 04:13:59
Message: <5427c347@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> We might disagree with each otherbut there is seldom any personal attacks.

> I think there is too much respect for that to happen.

Unfortunately it's not always true, though. At least not in the past.

Sometimes something that I would call "surprise flamewar" happens.
You present an opinion that you think is pretty reasonable and rather
non-controversial, and even afterwards you still think so, but it
surprisingly results in a full-on flamewar.

For example, I remember this one time that I posted a reply to someone
where I expressed an opinion on whether it's appropriate to mock the
president of a country that's not your own. I thought (and still think)
that it was a quite reasonable opinion. Sure, some people may very well
see it in another way, but I was never expecting in a million years the
incredible flamewar that ensued. Because of an opinion that I think that
it's not appropriate that the presidents of other countries should be
mocked and ridiculed... I'm still having a hard time understanding why.

(The other surprising thing was that I was completely alone in that
opinion. There were like five people ganged up against me, and yes,
it eventually succumbed to personal attacks from their part, and not
a single person, not even one, expressed even the slightest amount of
understanding or agreement. It was almost surreal.)

I suppose it's hopeless to understand the chaotic nature of the human mind.

--
                                                          - Warp