POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup : Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 28 Sep 2014 03:26:00
Message: <5427b808$1@news.povray.org>
On 28-9-2014 1:15, andrel wrote:
> On 27-9-2014 21:19, Doctor John wrote:
>> On 27/09/14 20:04, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> I also think it quite healthy because it includes both reason /and/
>>> emotion, and my guess is that this is exactly what most of us like best
>>> about the atmosphere (do you say that in English?) of this newsgroup.
>>
>> Yes, atmosphere is the right word. I agree with you completely.
>>
>> I would add one thing. The reason we all get on so well is that we
>> respect that others may hold contradictory viewpoints;
>
> What is the point of a discussion when you agree?

I suppose there are different levels of discussion, from where somebody
is curious about the opinion of others on a certain matter, to help
making up one's own mind, to really address issues to may generate
disagreement. But I agree with Christoph and John that this is done here
with due respect to the other's integrity. Nobody tries to convert sword
in hand.

>> we may disagree
>> but, although we may attempt to dissuade them from their wrong-headed (
>> :-) ) opinions, we don't descend to infantile name-calling.*
>
> Often it is about culture and politics. Which makes it even more
> interesting than arguing with your neighbour.
> Although most regulars are (older) man from western countries.
>
> Getting a few asians or africans on board would make things even more
> interesting (or from latin america, but I am not sure if the last one
> was a success). Definitely lacking a female perspective also.

Yes indeed but I am afraid that linguistic barriers maybe more than
cultural barriers are at play in that respect. The female perspective is
another matter however.

Thomas