POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. : Re: Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People WhoBreakThe Law. He Answers Poorly. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People WhoBreakThe Law. He Answers Poorly.
From: Warp
Date: 24 Sep 2014 15:17:05
Message: <542318b1@news.povray.org>
Saul Luizaga <sau### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I can't believe the reaction of you people to my messages, I thought
> you'd take them with rational, skeptical and critical thinking, but
> you're taking them emotionally, "I'm uneasy", of course, that's the
> point

It's arguably hard to take someone seriously who has in the past shown
belief in things like ghosts, deities, the supernatural, possibly in
aliens, and who has called skeptics "theists, Science being your God",
and who is now making several posts with nothing more than one link
each, and with provocative titles, giving a strong vibe of a conspiracy
theorist.

It doesn't help matters when you then start insulting people and using
swearwords, as well as using the "argumentative fallacy card" by throwing
names of completely random fallacies in situations where they don't fit
at all, seemingly to make yourself sound more intellectual and learned
(but ultimately achieving the exact opposite).

If you want to discuss about a certain topic, don't just make a post
with nothing but an URL. Explain your point, describe the topic, use
the URL as a reference, not as the main content. When writing, avoid
sounding like a paranoid conspiracy theorist, and avoid insulting people
simply because they disagree with you or dismiss you for behaving like
a paranoid conspiracy theorist.

Also be aware of the environment you are in. If you go to a forum that's
about, let's say, knitting, and start throwing URL's to outlandish
political videos or websites that have absolutely nothing to do with
knitting, expect people to dismiss you. The context of the forum is
relevant.

--
                                                          - Warp