POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I should have more time (but actually don't) : Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:30:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Sep 2014 07:25:08
Message: <5422aa14@news.povray.org>
On 24-9-2014 10:43, andrel wrote:
> On 24-9-2014 9:31, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> I am surprised all this was possible. I naively thought that after 3
>> years (2 years temporary contract plus extension) a permanent position
>> was mandatory, at least at governmental and university sites. Or maybe
>> so it was in the past?
>
> that sort of rules are still in place. In my situation the rules
> apparently do not apply because I have switched employers (... -> KNAW
> -> AMC -> KNAW) and then counting starts anew each time. That I have
> been doing the same thing in the same group does not count. Or so they
> claim.

Yes, that is the trick of course and often they are deliberately misused
in that way. Not much one can do about that.

> (BTW I published also some thoughts related to this at
> https://magazine.thepostonline.nl/#!/Een-pleidooi-voor-meer-slow-science
> which you should also be able to find via blendle.nl . ALso available
> from my website bytehouwer.nl/slowscience.pdf, but it is in Dutch. If
> there is any demand for it I will make a translation, Google makes a
> mess of it)
>
>> I am not sure, I seem to remember some rules in
>> that direction when I was employed.
>
> Are you unemployed yourself? Or just retired or switched to a different
> job?

I am currently officially retired, at 68. However, I was 57 when I was
'sacked' (I do not much like the term) together with a dozen others at
our TNO institute because we did not generate enough external funding.
Needless to say that that is rather difficult for an earth sciences
research scientist. To be fair, I must say that I was treated very
fairly, I had the backing of the syndicate, and was offered an early
retirement under very acceptable conditions. To tell the truth, I was
quite glad to quit working as I was beginning to have work-related
health problems.

>> What makes me angry is that nowadays getting a job is more a question of
>> age than of skills. +40? I am sorry my dear sir. You are an expert but
>> your age, you know, your age...
>
> I am 50+. Which indeed means that I have to become a freelancer or have
> to find a job in management and not be productive myself anymore.

Yes, I believe that sums up the situation indeed. Americans would
probably call this a new opportunities situation (and they are not
wrong) but in Europe we have a different approach to this, especially
the older generations. We always believed more in stable job continuity
and job protection.

Thomas