POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I should have more time (but actually don't) : Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't)
From: andrel
Date: 24 Sep 2014 09:17:55
Message: <5422C479.3030604@gmail.com>
On 24-9-2014 13:24, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 24-9-2014 10:43, andrel wrote:
>> On 24-9-2014 9:31, Thomas de Groot wrote:

>>> What makes me angry is that nowadays getting a job is more a question of
>>> age than of skills. +40? I am sorry my dear sir. You are an expert but
>>> your age, you know, your age...
>>
>> I am 50+. Which indeed means that I have to become a freelancer or have
>> to find a job in management and not be productive myself anymore.
>>

> Yes, I believe that sums up the situation indeed. Americans would
> probably call this a new opportunities situation (and they are not
> wrong) but in Europe we have a different approach to this, especially
> the older generations. We always believed more in stable job continuity
> and job protection.

My Dutch article is sort of about the Americanization of Dutch research.
We are also getting more and more opportunistic short term research here.
For me an important factor is that I believe in good research in a
stable group with a long experience. Stable jobs are just what makes
long term cooperation possible.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.