POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why I should have more time (but actually don't) : Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why I should have more time (but actually don't)
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Sep 2014 03:31:37
Message: <54227359@news.povray.org>
On 23-9-2014 21:21, andrel wrote:
> Technically I was not all that time with one employer, though for the
> last 9 years I was full time at the same desk with the same group of
> people. Before that mostly full time but also sometimes only part time
> in the AMC. So, I was more than 25 years doing basically the same work
> at the same place, but only the last 2 contracts and last 4 years count,
> so they are safe. (losing a lot of knowledge and experience, but who
> cares). If this had been a private company, it would be illegal as well.
>
> In science we often need longer times. First as a PhD student (which is
> a job here) then as a post-doc. Sometimes post-doc's still need to
> finish things after a project so there is a need for extending temporary
> contracts. Problems start to arise when the post-doc, besides her
> project, has to take on structural tasks to keep the department running.
> We are all aware that the system is broken, but nobody is take serious
> action. They just let the lawyers think up a way to circumvent the law
> for a couple of years. And when that is forbidden, try something else.

I am surprised all this was possible. I naively thought that after 3
years (2 years temporary contract plus extension) a permanent position
was mandatory, at least at governmental and university sites. Or maybe
so it was in the past? I am not sure, I seem to remember some rules in
that direction when I was employed.

What makes me angry is that nowadays getting a job is more a question of
age than of skills. +40? I am sorry my dear sir. You are an expert but
your age, you know, your age...

Thomas