POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy? : Re: Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:27:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Fundamentalists in the USA - change of favorite enemy?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 22 Sep 2014 03:49:04
Message: <541fd470$1@news.povray.org>
On 21-9-2014 17:44, clipka wrote:
> Is it just a biased perspective caused by a poor sampling method (just
> browsing YouTube), or are Christian fundamentalists in the USA currently
> zeroing in on a new enemy?
>
> Before 9/11, "the beast" of Revelations seems to have been identified
> mostly as either the Vatican or the UN.
>
> In the decade after 9/11, Christian fundamentalists seem to have been
> entirely focused on Islam as their favorite Evil Incarnate.
>
> Now I find videos on YouTube that identify "the beast" with the EU in
> general or Germany in particular.
>
> Did I just chance upon a small subset of US-American Christian
> fundamentalism, or is this an actual trend? I'd find the latter quite
> alarming.

That is interesting. In Christian terms the devil being the entity most
to be feared (probably more for its Faustian temptations than for its
fearful aspect, despite all iconography), this tells us a lot about the
changing role of the EU in the world, compared to the US. Alarming?
Maybe. Changes in the balance of power are always globally unsettling
indeed. And, Fundamentalist Americans discovered recently that there is
an outside world beyond their doorstep. I would be frightened indeed ;-)

Thomas