POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages! : Re: Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Sep 2014 17:11:37
Message: <5419f909$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:34:46 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> https://www.quora.com/Why-are-email-scams-written-in-broken-English
>> explains it a bit, but isn't the article I saw a few weeks ago about
>> this.
>
> But if the scam email is supposed to be an official email from a company
> like Apple, deliberate mistakes seems like a strange choice.

I agree, but that's kinda the point.  They don't want to waste time with
people who know it's a scam.  They want targets who are going to look at
it, go "seems legit to me" and follow up on it.  Enough people are just
that stupid that they actually manage to make money with it.

On a planet with 7 billion people, a few of them are going to be that
stupid.

> On the other hand, many people fall for any scam, no matter how poorly
> written, or what kind of email it might be. There's this story about the
> admin of the computer system of a school who sent warning emails to all
> the students. The email warned them to never answer emails asking for
> login and password information, because the admins, or anybody else,
> will never ask those via email (or any other non-secure way). He put an
> example of such a scam message (clearly labeling it as an example of
> what such a message would look like). He received replies from many
> students with their login and password info, for the simple reason that
> the example he put in the email asked for them,
> regardless of the big warnings to never do that.

Yep.

Jim