POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages! : Re: Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Note to Spammers: Proof read your messages!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Sep 2014 13:37:42
Message: <5419c6e6$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:47:23 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> Dear customer
>  >
>  > Your Apple ID has been used to connect to iTunes from an iPhone 5
>  > called "Christian's iPhone".
>  >
>  > Date: 16 September 2014 02:22:10 Operating System: iPhone 5,
>  > OS,7.0.3,11B511 If you recently connected with this device, you can
>  > ignore this message.
>  >
>  > If you did not recenlty connect with an iPad, and you think someone
>  > may have used your account, it would be more prudent to reset your
>  > password.
>  >
>  > [SNIP PHISHING URL]
>  >
>  > Apple Technical Support
>
> Make up your mind... is it an iPhone 5, or an iPad?
>
> At least it didn't sound like it was translated by Google.

Actually, there was a really interesting article about this a little bit
ago....

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-email-scams-written-in-broken-English
explains it a bit, but isn't the article I saw a few weeks ago about this.

The article I saw explained that this type of poorly written e-mail
filters out people who are not going to fall for the scam, meaning that
of those who actually read it, they get about a 70% "conversion rate" (ie,
70% of the people who don't immediately dismiss it as a scam end up at
least starting the process).  Doesn't take many for it to be successful.

Jim