POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: clipka
Date: 13 Sep 2014 21:46:42
Message: <5414f382@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2014 02:32, schrieb Stephen:
> On 14/09/2014 00:08, clipka wrote:
>> Am 13.09.2014 23:41, schrieb Stephen:
>>
>>> That's fine by me. I'm taking time off ATM.
>>> I might need consoling after the 19th.
>>
>> Just wondering: Would that be in the yes- or the no-case?
>>
>> (I have a hunch, but I might be wrong of course.)
>
> You, wrang ma loon?
> Ne'er ;-)

Me, personally, I think whether Scotland would be better off with a
"yes" or "no" is immensely difficult to predict; and you know what the
Danes say about predictions, especially when they pertain to the future.
But I suspect that the rest of GB would fare better with a "no", while I
as an outsider would certainly profit from a "yes" result, if only for
the added entertainment :-)

> In some parts of Scotland they speak the purest English to be found.
> (Inverness-shire, I've also read that there is somewhere in Canada that
> does too.) But in other parts of Scotland the dialect is next to
> incomprehensible. I once spent an afternoon with a friend's old uncle in
> Aberdeen. I could make out one word in three.
> My own accent is similar to the ones in the video you posted. So if we
> ever team up in ED with voice comms, beware! :-)
> Or maybe not. Scots is a Germanic language.

I've been to the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Southern Uplands region once,
and had no problems whatsoever understanding the people there. Including
the guy I had to deal with on the first day, who was indeed wearing a
kilt at work (and no, he was not in the tourist business, but the head
of an IT department ;-)).

That same trip later led me to Middle England; it was late at night when
I arrived, and I had to ask for the way, so I did. Well, the guy seemed
sober enough, but I swear: I did not understand One. Single. Freakin'.
Word. And I mean that literally.