POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Sep 2014 08:36:34
Message: <540affd2$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/09/2014 16:37, Saul Luizaga wrote:
> Why UK having such a strong economy doesn't renew its phone system and
> simply makes it xxx yyyy yyyy, xxx: are codes, yyyy yyyy: phone numbers,
> because looks like UK is complicating it more needlessly over time, this
> should be specially easy IMO since UK has engineering and other
> resources so UK make a general call to UK engineers and design it on
> digital, and have an analog backup system, in case the digital 1 fails.
> If you need more numbers: xxx yyyy yyyy y that way you increase 10 times
> the availability, of course the analog should have room for this as well
> as the digital 1, why keep building on the old system? I know is money
> but UK economy AFAIK is strong and it'd better I think, don't know the
> feasibility of such a project but I'd bet UK Gov hasn't even weighed the
> possibility of it.

In my opinion there are two reasons.
To be funded, national projects have to be a vote winner and spending a
very large number of Pounds Sterling to change phone numbers (again) is
not going to be attractive to politicians. Our infrastructure is no
longer in public hands.* It was sold off to private concerns. So there
is also the question of who is going to pay for it.
The other reason is we do not have a good track record for large scale
IT projects. The only people who make money are the consultancies and
often they are cancelled.

*	The exception to this is Kingston upon Hull in Yorkshire (say no
more). They have the only municipal telephone system in the UK.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCOM_Group

--

Regards
     Stephen