POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fun challenge : Re: Fun challenge Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fun challenge
From: clipka
Date: 25 Aug 2014 22:46:58
Message: <53fbf522$1@news.povray.org>
Am 25.08.2014 21:26, schrieb Nekar Xenos:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 21:24:58 +0200, Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> A) Make a solar system with  binary stars

No problem.

>> B) Make the binary stars orbit around each other so that the
>> trajectory looks like intersecting circles of the same size, yet the
>> stars should never collide.

That sounds rather easy - provided that the intersecting "circles" are
allowed to be slightly elliptic.

>> C) Have a planet for each star without colliding.

That might become problematic. AFAIK there is no general solution to the
three-body-problem except for m1 >> m2 >> m3, and here we have a
four-body-problem...

>> D) give each planet a moon.

... a six-body-problem...

>> E) change the size of one moon  to be the same size as it's planet so
>> that they become binary planets

>> F) ad a planet that orbits both stars.

... so on.

I can only imagine it to be somewhat stable if you take care to make not
only the masses sufficiently different in order of magnitude, but also
the radii. Like, have the stars orbit each other at an average distance
of X, and have the planet orbit them at an average distance of, say,
100*X. (And yes, make that an exact multiple.)