POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second question : Re: Second question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Second question
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 11 Aug 2014 14:59:21
Message: <53e91289$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/08/2014 19:55, Shay wrote:
> Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> What's on your desktop?
>
> Is it the geekiness or the European-ness that leads to such full desks? I've
> seen a lot of support for both.
>
> My non-European, non-geeky (though there are a few items which belie this
> claim)desk is Spartan by comparison. The links contain the full tour.
>
> A few comments:
> * Watercolor by my mother.
> * Each black square is 100 burpees.
>
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/shay_temp/work+desktop/photo+0.JPG
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/shay_temp/work+desktop/photo+1.JPG
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/shay_temp/work+desktop/photo+2.JPG
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/shay_temp/work+desktop/photo+3.JPG
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/shay_temp/work+desktop/photo+4.JPG
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/shay_temp/work+desktop/photo+5.JPG
>
>  -Shay

It might be tied to the capability of employer to dismiss you at lunch
time or not.

US-like-employee's rights are so low that desk should be ready to be
packed within 5 minutes notice.

European-side is usually more slow, due to past battle with unions.

There is also the paternalistic approach of most non-US like companies
(delusion of family). It make your job a second home, so you bring your
stuff over the time.

It's not an atlantic thing: the same difference occurs between
traditional Japan and post-revolution China.

Guess where England stands ?
(or is it UK ? or Great Britain ?)

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)