POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 7 Aug 2014 03:28:26
Message: <53e32a9a$1@news.povray.org>
On 6-8-2014 21:57, Stephen wrote:
> On 05/08/2014 08:34, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 4-8-2014 18:55, Stephen wrote:
>>> We must remember that the Founding Fathers did not leave Europe fleeing
>>> religious intolerance. But to practice it.
>>> Then the south had a lot of Scottish protestants settling it and a more
>>> intolerant lot you would not meet in a month of Sundays.
>>
>> Ah, you confirm indeed to me what I have been musing about following
>> this thread.
>>

> Which part was confirmed? The bit where I got my Pilgrims confounded
> with my Foundling?

The Founding Fathers /and/ the Scottish Protestants. Besides, I guess
that the massive arrivals of Irish and Italian Catholics in the 19th
century again exacerbated the intolerance - on both sides probably. The
result is a weird societal concoction.

> Even the Netherlands was not liberal enough for them.

Indeed. And maybe they felt they were in the devil's own country, who knows.

We still have our own little bible belt though.

Thomas