POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Aug 2014 15:02:01
Message: <53e12a29$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/5/2014 7:55 AM, Warp wrote:
> It's a common problem with woo "science" that the experiments they
> perform are extremely faulty. They fail to perform proper double
> blind testing, they fail to have controls, they often use sample
> sizes that are statistically too small, and they often engage in
> confirmation and publication bias.
>
> Publication bias is something that very easily misleads, and is
> easily missed by the public.

Lets me honest here - publication bias means a) nearly everything ends
up behind a pay wall, or in a pop-sci mag, where they may not even get
the facts right, when they have real facts, and b) negative results, as
in, "We didn't find anything.", are ***never*** published where they can
be easily found, never mind where the public will see them. So, yeah,
bias... Kind of like how reading an old book on, "things to see, and
have fun at, in country X.", is a tad "biased" against the small war
that just broke out there, and the people shooting tourists who show up
to look at the attraction that was just blown up by rebels...

Its such a minor "bias".

And, its only getting worse as the publishers are pushing harder and
harder to make more money, by putting *everything* behind a pay wall,
permanently, instead of allowing it to be release via things like Pubmed.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get