POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Aug 2014 18:12:49
Message: <53e00561$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/4/2014 10:11 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> That's not a trait I associate with people who are intelligent.
>
>  From what I can gather. Faith is something that can and does fly in the
> face of logic.

Just had a post I replied to on a blog with the usual "Science and
religion are compatible, just look at all the religious people who
did/do good science!" I gave an example of one physicist going so far
off the rails it was flat nuts, because he "believed" in telepathy and
psychic powers, and decided to test if the incidental flashes of light,
produced by the body's own chemical reactions in cells, would provide a,
"means to explain how some people could detect other people's thoughts."

My argument on the subject is, simply, "Sure, they can be compatible,
right up until the person with that rift in their perceptions stops
doing science, and starts doing something else entirely." That, in a nut
shell, its like enjoying scifi flicks, involving aliens, while not
believing in UFOs, vs. someone that hates scifi shows, because they
"depict aliens wrong", based on their belief in UFOs. The one is
"compatible", the other.. not so much.

And, more to the point, maybe "compatible" isn't the word they need to
be using to describe the phenomena...

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get