POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Stephen
Date: 4 Aug 2014 13:11:34
Message: <53dfbec6$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/08/2014 23:30, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> >I don't think that you can equate intelligence with "not believing".
>> >Believing has to do with Faith. And Faith is not something you can
>> >instil or teach. It is not logical you either have it or you don't and I
>> >for one don't.
> I don't think it's an equation of belief and intelligence - but belief
> implies a willingness (or even a desire) to not think of something
> rationally and to not examine it too closely.

There is a scale of belief IMO.
A difference in intensity between "I believe the weather will clear
up.", I believe that it it daylight, just now."  and "I believe in God
the Father, God the..."

I would call the latter usage Faith.

> That's not a trait I associate with people who are intelligent.

 From what I can gather. Faith is something that can and does fly in the
face of logic.

You can no more stop some one from throwing salt over their shoulder to
bring luck. Than you can make someone believe there is a god by telling
them. (Unless you are holding a sword.)

--

Regards
     Stephen