POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! : Re: Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:14:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stunned!!!!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Aug 2014 18:29:26
Message: <53deb7c6$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 19:57:16 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> True. But that is how we are distracted.
>>
>> It happens.  Squirrel! ;)
>>

> You don't catch me like that again.

We'll see. :)

>> Yep.  As long as they're not affecting the lives of others around them
>> in a negative way, I generally don't care.  The problem is that a lot
>> of these nitwits *do* affect the lives of others around them in a
>> negative way - like insisting that science classes "teach the
>> controversy" of evolution vs. creationism - as if creationism is
>> anything like science.
>>
> Where?

Pick a state in the southeastern US.  Or Texas.  Seriously, the Texas
Board of Education decides textbook standards for the entire country,
because of the number of students they have.  So when they get a bunch of
whackadoodle creationist types on their BoE who say that creationism is
science and who won't approve textbooks that don't praise God, the entire
country suffers with crap textbooks that teach non-science.

>> Or that anyone other than nitwits like Ken Ham think that creationism
>> *is* a valid theory of how the world works, especially young earth
>> creationism.
>>
>> If they want to believe that, fine.  But when they're people who sit on
>> the Texas Board of Education (which for reasons of scale ends up
>> deciding what's in science textbooks across the United States), then I
>> have a HUGE problem with them.
>>

> I've given up reading about it.
> I sympathise but what can you do when you see militant fundamentalist
> "Christians" to the west and militant fundamentalist "Muslims" to the
> east. Even Buddhists are killing people.

Yeah, it makes things kinda difficult.  I'm glad K was able to get a real
education and can recognise this kind of BS a mile away.

>>> On the other hand. The mythology opens up boundless opportunity for
>>> stories.
>>
>> True, and mythology recognized as mythology is a pretty cool thing.
>> But I wouldn't dream of thinking that the Arthurian mythos are a basis
>> for defining a morality.
>
> How about the Druids and Wiccan? Religions made up in Victorian times, I
> think.

I think the Druids go back farther, would have to check the books.  I
passed through a Wiccan phase before going full Atheist, but I don't
remember a lot of the specifics about when/where stuff happened.

>> They're pretty good, especially when retold by Monty Python (just came
>> back from watching that in the cinema, in fact). :)
>>

> Bad memories that one for me. While listening to the album and "tuning
> in". A friend had a bad time. I had to talk them down for about six
> hours with insects crawling out of the walls. Bummer!
> On the bright side. It wasn't me. :-)

Good thing it wasn't you, but ... album?  OK, now I'm puzzled.

>>> Have you read any of Charles Stross's Laundry series?
>>
>> I haven't, but I think I might have to. :)
>>

> Where?

If I can get a digital copy, on my eReader.

>>> Where his protagonist is not the BOFH but the Sysop fighting the
>>> forces from Hell. Quite funny and the Tech bits don't jar.
>>
>> *Definitely* have to check it out. :)
>>

> You do. If you go to his website http://www.antipope.org/
> Fun name, what!
> There is some free stuff there. His early Hard SF is recommended.

Cool - will add it to my list.

>> You are?  It's not really coming through. ;)
>>

> Good! I might get away with it for a few more years yet. ;-)

LOL

> Where! Tell Me! Tell Me. Where?

OK, now I'm confused again.  Probably because I've lost the thread - a
week in Vancouver, BC will do that to you. :)

Jim