POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sailing! : Re: Sailing! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sailing!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Aug 2014 03:43:07
Message: <53db450b$1@news.povray.org>
On 31-7-2014 23:34, Doctor John wrote:
> On 31/07/14 22:05, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> Two questions:
>> 1 - What are the big planks on the sides of the boats? Are they
>> daggerboards? and if so, why are they on the sides of the boat, rather
>> than on the center of the hull?
>>

> IIRC those are called (in English) leeboards. The boats look much like
> Thames sailing barges with some differences. The leeboards have much the
> same effect as daggerboards but having two (one either side of the
> barge), independently controlled, facilitates sharp turns. Remember
> these are (or were) working vessels and often worked in close proximity
> to one another.

Ah yes! I forgot to mention the ability to make sharp turns using the
leeboards. In the video (and in others) you can see a couple of examples
of that. An important feature too when tacking on canals.

Local television (Omrop Fryslan) is broadcasting the competition here
and there are thrilling examples of fierce turning around a buoy by
several ships at the same time

>> 2 - Why is there a guy repeatedly sticking a pole in the water at the
>> 1:44 mark (approx.)  Is he checking the water depth? Trying to paddle to
>> make his boat go faster?  Spear-fishing for dinner?
>>

> Didn't see that. What I saw was a crewman using a pole to adjust the
> foresail. Are you sure you got the timestamp right?

As I said below: he is constantly checking the water depth indeed.

Thomas