POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sailing! : Re: Sailing! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sailing!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 1 Aug 2014 03:24:57
Message: <53db40c9$1@news.povray.org>
On 31-7-2014 23:05, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8ilsiloVE
>>
>> Fascinating when a good wind blows like the last couple of days.
>>
>> Thomas
> Two questions:
> 1 - What are the big planks on the sides of the boats? Are they
> daggerboards? and if so, why are they on the sides of the boat, rather
> than on the center of the hull?

I suppose you could call them daggerboards and they serve the same
function. These ships are flat-bottom freight ships (most of these are
more than a 100 years old) and designed to sail in very shallow water
across the former Zuiderzee and all kind of waterways. They are on the
sides I suppose because otherwise they would take up too much hold
space, and they are easy to manage up and down according to the listing
of the ship.

> 2 - Why is there a guy repeatedly sticking a pole in the water at the
> 1:44 mark (approx.)  Is he checking the water depth? Trying to paddle to
> make his boat go faster?  Spear-fishing for dinner?

Yes, he is checking the water depth.

Thomas